Dirt on the hands
Every single thing that we do are like dirt on our hands. It may not show, but it's there. At the end of the day, when the hands are washed and dried up, was getting our hands dirty worth the while? or were they just stains that needed to be washed out as soon as possible and be forgotten?
Saturday, November 19, 2005
Online goodies
I have a been in the online scene for a long time and the better part of it was playing online games, much to the dismay of my parents. I've had an interest in it even back when Meridian59, the first Online RPG, was just coming out. The first online RPG I played was the Realm by Sierra. It was a dull game to be honest, filled with bugs and crashes that frequently happens every week but the idea of playing with people from all around the world had me going even through all the dullness.

I really started seriously playing MMORPG when I was 17 though. I even recall the date, it was January 1st 2000(think of it as a new year's resolution hah). That was when I started Everquest. It was also the time I started an addiction to online games. For the next 3 months while waiting for my university application I didn't eat, sleep or do anything much other than playing EQ. If I was sleepy while playing I would just crawl under the desk and sleep, eating was done in front of the PC and prayers were done with utmost haste. There was nothing else much on my mind. In other words, I was a total wreck.

My gaming schedule encountered a bump when I got into UTM. Even so, I tried to come back home every other week so I could comtinue my adventures in the world of Everquest. I rejoiced when term breaks arrive since I would have the time to play as much as I wanted to. I joined the best guild on my server, becoming one of the best players in my class in terms of gear and skill at one point and also made a lot of online friends. Everyday my goals were to get the best gear, help the guild kill badder and meaner enemies and become a better player. Being a good player I expect to be complimented on my skills and to look down on the unlucky people who do not deserve to be in my guild, those were my dues. This cycle went on for the next 3 years.

Now, I still do play online games at times but not to the level of addiction that I used to. Usually just to pass the time and meet up old friends online. I've never been as passionate for anything else as much as I had for Everquest. I met a lot of great people too. Being a great player probably helped my self-esteem at the time. It's not something that I need now though.
posted by Elman @ 7:03 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The only game I know how to play is DIGGER. Got pretty addicted to that too. You'd probably be ROTFL :))

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger Elman said…

    I've played Digger when I was in primary school. That's an old school game heheh

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger Aimi Jaafar said…

    yea.. i remember how bancik made his own 'home sweet home' in front of the comp. with clutters around. chair wrapped with a comforter and the air cond was on all the time. o__O

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Ahmad Hilmi said…

    you forgot to mention the fact that he won't budge from his comfy spot unless it's absolutely necessary ^__^
    umm... I played digger when i was in primary too and got quite addicted :P no laughs there

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Blogger Suriya said…

    Addictions are actually a desire to aspire to perfection. A single minded desire to achieve something is what makes a lot of people achieve greatness.Having said that, I am relieved it is over what with putting up with impossible phone bills and electricity bills. It broke my heart to see my hardearned money ( and baba's hardearned )money go down the drain.

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger ahnali said…

    haha..
    ingat lak mase2..
    'hanaaaa..buatkan bangcik cofee..tq ^^;;'

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger Nusayba said…

    the only reason i played mmorpg back then is the networking factor of getting to know people.

    then again, i only played that cutesy ragnarok online game, which by the end of my crazed moment, was becoming more of a playground for spoilt brats and over run with bots program for levelling.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Elman said…

    I played ragnarok for about an hour before dropping it. Compared to everquest where split second actions determine whether you live or die, ragnarok was too slow for me not to mentioned the tongue lashing i'd get if i played 2 mmmorpgs at the same time!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me
Name:Elman J
Home: Malaysia
About Me: Too many faults to list, too many problems to solve. I myself am an on-going project and it is a project that I intend to succeed at.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Shoutbox

Links
Archives
Powered by


BLOGGER